Classification: Full time
Medical Mutual Insurance Company of Maine, a Portland-based medical professional liability insurance company, seeks a Claims Representative to join its dynamic team.
A Claims Representative investigates, develops, and resolves medical professional liability, staff privileges incident, and medical facility general liability claims and associated insurance coverage issues. Reporting directly to the VP Claims, this individual interacts closely with the Claims Committee, insureds, policyholders, and defense counsel.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university and/or three years medical professional liability claims experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent oral and written professional communication and critical thinking skills
- Self-motivation with proficiency in time management
- Works closely with insureds visiting their facilities and making presentations
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Strong understanding of and capacity to learn about medical terminology and standard medical procedures
- Familiarity with interpreting insurance policies under the law of the local jurisdiction and making coverage decisions
- Basic knowledge of reinsurance structure and claims reserving
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and make sound recommendations regarding the handling of claims
- Keep up to date with significant changes in the applicable law and the risks associated with the Company’s various lines of coverage
Necessary Computer Skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows and the Internet
- Basic level of competency in Microsoft Outlook and Word
- Demonstrated capability in MMIC technologies (as applicable to use in the Claims Department) within 90 days of employment
This current opening is an opportunity to work for a financially strong company that values a work/life balance and employee training and education. We engage your unique talents and welcome your ideas on how to do things differently and better.
Medical Mutual Insurance Company of Maine offers an excellent benefits package, including health insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid dental, life, and short-term disability insurance. A partial work-from-home workweek may be available. We enjoy ten paid holidays, a very generous paid time off (PTO) plan, and personal time. The Company provides a strong salary and robust 401(k) plan as well as tuition, community service, and wellness reimbursement programs.
Interested applicants should send a current resume and cover letter describing your experience, as well as any other information which you feel would help us better evaluate your qualifications.
Submit your application materials to:
Medical Mutual Insurance Co. of Maine
Attn: Human Resources Manager
PO Box 15275
Portland, Maine 04112-5275
Please, no phone calls.
Medical Mutual Insurance Company of Maine is an equal opportunity employer.
Medical Mutual does not retain information regarding positions not listed.