Narcotics and Controlled Drugs Inventory Record Instructions
Re-supplying the inventory (Incoming Drugs):
- Count and record the date and starting inventory for each medication being replenished.
- Reconcile the amount received with the amount ordered.
- Record the balance on hand after restocking the medications.
- Ensure two qualified staff members perform this procedure and initial the log form signifying the counts are correct.
Dispensing medications (Outgoing Drugs):
- Count and record the date and starting inventory for each medication being dispensed.
- Record the date dispensed, quantity dispensed and the patient’s name.
- Confirm the remaining quantity with another qualified staff member and initial the form signifying the counts are correct.
- Record date of count, starting inventory, balance on hand and current inventory.
- Two qualified staff members must perform the counts and initial the form signifying the counts are correct.
Maintain a signature log to identify the initials of the staff that have made recordings on this form.
Medical Mutual Insurance Company of Maine offers this information as reference information only and is not intended to establish practice standards or serve as legal advice. MMIC recommends you obtain a legal opinion from a qualified attorney for any specific application to your practice.